Dr. Krishna joins Psych Associates of Maryland after spending more than ten (10) years as a physician researcher in the field of neuroscience. He boasts an extensive publication list and an impressive resume of original scientific findings. Dr. Krishna completed his postdoctoral program at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Maryland Psychiatric Research Center in Baltimore, Maryland continuing on through the University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Training Program research track. Dr. Krishna is board certification by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
He subsequently joined the University of Maryland Baltimore as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine. He worked in the Adult Inpatient Division, Psychiatric Emergency Service Center, conducting in-depth evaluation and treatment of a broad range of psychiatric disorders and coordinating patient care through the available multidisciplinary team, which includes psychologists, nurses, occupational/physical therapists, social workers and case managers. He also teaches and supervises residents, medical students, nursing students, psychology students and graduate research students. Since joining the Psych Associates of Maryland he no longer works in the Adult Inpatient Division but he continues to work at the Psychiatric Emergency Service.
In addition to his work as a clinician, he conducts research in psychiatry and neuroscience with expertise in genetics, electroencephalogram (EEG), schizophrenia, psychotic disorders, suicide and cranial electric stimulation. For his pioneering research, clinical expertise, and teaching excellence, he has received a number of awards from the University of Maryland, including: the Nursing Excellence Award in 2015 and 2016 and the Walter Weintraub Award for Clinical Teacher of the Year UMD in 2015. He also was named the Future Leaders Award @ 6th Annual Chair Summit, Tampa Florida. He won the Research Colloquium for Junior Investigators and Resident Research Award APA. He was a Travel Award and Fellowship recipient at the The American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology, The National Institute of Mental Health & the Zucker-Hillside Hospital Workshop on clinical trials in psychopharmacology, New York City.
PUBLICATIONS: Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Kvarta Mark, Dina M Sztein; Prashanth Pillai; Krishna Nithin; Universal Screening for Suicide Risk in Emergency Departments; Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Integrating Emergency Care with Population Health, 2018.
- Christopher B. Morrow, M.D. , Nithin Krishna, M.D. Depression and suicidality in an Afghan refugee: a case report; Transcultural Psychiatry 2018.
- Puvvada KC, Summerfelt A, Du X, Krishna N, Kochunov P, Rowland LM, Simon JZ, Hong LE; Delta Vs Gamma Auditory Steady State Synchrony in Schizophrenia; Schizophr Bull. 2017 Jun 20.
- Dina Sztein, MD, MPH; Prashanth Pillai, MD; Mark Kvarta, PhD; Nithin Krishna, MD; Universal Screening for Suicide Risk in the Emergency Department; Under review the Journal of Emergency Medicine.
- Depression and suicidality in an Afghan refugee: a case report, Christopher Morrow, Michael Peroski and Nithin Krishna; Accept for publication Transcultural Psychiatry - Manuscript ID TP-17-0010.
- Prashanth Pillai, M.D., Nithin Krishna M.D., William T Regenold M.D.C.M; Klazomania: a rare case of compulsive screaming, complicating major depression, effectively treated with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Journal of Aging Science.
- Rowland LM, Summerfelt A, Wijtenburg SA, Du X, Chiappelli JJ, Krishna N, West J, Muellerklein F, Kochunov P, Hong LE; Frontal Glutamate and γ-Aminobutyric Acid Levels and Their Associations With Mismatch Negativity and Digit Sequencing Task Performance in Schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Feb 1;73(2):166-74.
- Wonodi I, McMahon RP, Krishna N, Mitchell BD, Liu J, Glassman M, Hong LE, Gold JM; Influence of kynurenine 3-monooxygenase (KMO) gene polymorphism on cognitive function in schizophrenia; Schizophr Res. 2014 Dec;160(1-3):80-7.
- Krishna N, O'Neill H, Sánchez-Morla EM, Thaker GK.; Long range frontal/posterior phase synchronization during remembered pursuit task is impaired in schizophrenia; Schizophr Res. 2014 Aug;157(1-3):198-203.
- Govindaraj P, Nalini A, Krishna N, Sharath A, Khan NA, Tamang R, Devi MG, Brown RH, Thangaraj K Mitochondrial DNA variations in Madras motor neuron disease: Mitochondrion. 2013 Feb 16. S1567-7249(13)00027-5.
- Krishna N, Fischer BA, Miller M, Register-Brown K, Patchan K, Hackman A: The role of social media networks in psychotic disorders: a case report: Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2012 Nov 19. S0163-8343(12)00324-6.
- Krishna N, Chiappelli J, Fischer BA,Knight S: Tacrolimus induced paranoid delusions andfugue-like state; General Hospital Psychiatry.
- Ram Murthy A, Purushottam M, Kiran Kumar HB, Vallikiran M, Krishna N, Jayramu Sriharsha K, Janardhan Reddy YC, Ghosh S, Jain S: Gender-specific association of TSNAX/DISC1 locus for schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder in South Indian population.J Hum Genet. 2012 Jun 7.
- Moates AF, Ivleva EI, O'Neill HB, Krishna N, Cullum CM, Thaker GK, Tamminga CA: Predictive Pursuit Association with Deficits in Working Memory in Psychosi; Biol Psychiatry. 2012 May 2.
- Yadav R, Pal PK, Krishna N, Amar BR, Jain S, Purushottam M; Electrophysiological evaluation of spinocerebellar ataxias 1, 2 and 3: J Neurol Sci. 2011 Aug 30; (PMID:21880333).
- Goel G, Pal PK, Ravishankar S, Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN, Krishna N, Purushottam M, Saini J, Faruq M, Mukherji M, Jain S; Gray matter volume deficits in spinocerebellar ataxia: an optimized voxel based morphometric study; Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011 Aug; 17(7):521-7.
- Sriranjini SJ, Pal PK, Krishna N, Sathyaprabha TN. Subclinical Pulmonary Dysfunction in Spinocerebellar ataxias 1, 2 and 3: Acta Neurol Scand. 2010 Nov; 122(5):323-8.
- Subhashree D, Kiran Kumar H B, Meera Purushottama, Shubha G N, Vallikiran Ma, Nithin Krishna, Sriharsha J, Reddy Y C J, Saurabh Ghosh, Odity Mukherjee and Sanjeev Jain. Identification of interaction between Serotonin transporter and Glycogen synthase kinase-3beta gene polymorphisms: Role in susceptibility to Bipolar Disorder. Future Neurol. (2009) 4(3), 363-370.
- A.Nalini, D S Shivashankar, B.K.Yamini, K Thenareshu, Krishna.N. Madras Motor Neuron Disorder, Description of 116 patients from Southern India. Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 6, 02/2008 (PMID: 18261745).
- Nithin Krishna, Surendra Mohan, B S Yashavantha, A Rammurthy, H B Kiran Kumar, Uma Mittal, Mitali Mukherji, Pramod Kumar Pal, Sanjeev Jain, Meera Purushottam, Prevalence of the SCA 1, SCA 2 and SCA3 / MJD mutations in ataxia syndromes in southern India. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 126, 11/2006, 465-470 (PMID: 18160752).
- Nithin Krishna and Gunvant K Thaker. Genetics: genotype/phenotype relationship p3-19. Year in Schizophrenia II. Atlas Medical Publishing Ltd. 2009 Edited by William Carpenter Jr MD and Gunvant K. Thaker MD.